Monday, September 13, 2010

THE DASH

Monday, September 13

Hi Everyone...

I hope you will bear with me as my family and I have had a very difficult week. We buried my nephew today. He was just 50 and a victim of the economy. David was laid off from his job, his wife worked at the same place and 4 weeks later she was laid off. their home in which they were very proud of was next...they lost their home. Finding their selves homeless with a 12 year old daughter, they moved in with David's Sister, Gail and her husband. A month ago David's unemployment stopped, 2 weeks ago his wife's unemployment stopped. Neither had been able to find employment. Last Wednesday morning, his wife found him. David died of a heart attack in his sleep.

This made me realize that David is just one of thousands...who has died or actually kill their self, because of what has happened beyond their control, to their life.

What I am asking is simply this: "Love your neighbor as your Brother." If you know of any family that has fallen prey to the economy...help them in what ever manner you can. No matter how small or how large, do something to help the person or family. Food, money, encouragement, prayer, help to find employment, just do something!

I learned a lot about my nephew today, that I did not know. Oh, I have always loved him! He was very special. All of my sister, Betty's children are "My Favorite!", because each of them has a special quality about them that is unique. Today, I learned that David was always helping his friends in need, rebuilding old friendships, always making new friends, a coach on his daughter's softball team. He loved the Phillie's, camping, playing horseshoes, and much more that I did not know! He enjoyed and loved life and he loved his family. His daughter, Debbie was the "apple of his eye". I don't think David attended church, I'm not sure, but this I do know, that he lived a Christian life and he knew God as his Holy Father.

David is the 2ND Son that my sister has buried. Her 1st Son, Sonnie, died suddenly when he was just 7. He was a sunny little boy and we miss him still! I can not imagine the anguish that a Mother feels, losing her children. She is a widow, having lost a wonderful Irish husband and Father to their children. I am asking prayers for her pain and the pain of David's wife, Terry, daughter, Debbie, his siblings and family. Betty told me that she believes that the Lord will never give her more than she can bear.

A United Methodist Pastor, in New Jersey did the service. I'm sorry but I don't remember her name. It was a beautiful service and the rooms were filled with photos of David smiling with his friends and family. It felt warm and comforting, sitting there and listening to her speak of David and his Holy Father. She read a poem titled "The Dash" by Linda Ellis. As soon as we arrived home, I searched for it on the Internet. I'd like to share it with you.

The Dash
by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tomestone
From the beginning to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
And spoke of the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all of the time
that she spent alive on the Earth.
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line was worth.

For it matters not how much we own;
the cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard.
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left,
that can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read
With your life's actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent you dash?

On the drive home from New Jersey, I fully realized how much I love my family and how very proud I am of each and every one of them. They are a wonderful Blessing in my life and I intend to tell them that more often!

Thanks for "listening." Dee